Friday, February 26, 2010

So what does an MMA fighter eat?

Over the past few months, I've heard about MMA (mixed martial arts) fighting on the radio or on the internet several times. I'm not sure if this already popular full contact combat sport is having another surge in popularity or if I'm more attuned to it since a friend of mine began training. If MMA doesn't ring a bell, you may be more familiar with the UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship), an MMA promotional company.

Whether you are a follower of the sport or not, you have to respect the amount of dedication and training these athletes undergo. Besides basic athletic training; cardiovascular conditioning, speed training, resistance training and flexibility, these athletes also are trained in a number of traditional martial art such as kickboxing, full contact Karate, Greco-Roman wrestling, Brazillian Jui-Jitsu, etc. Sound intense? It is!

Like any athlete training for hours every day, an MMA fighter needs to be aware of the fuel their providing their body. Without proper nutrition, their performance will suffer. So, what does an MMA fighter eat? I turned to my friend Brandon's blog to find out. Brandon has been formally training as an MMA fighter since December. In addition to spending hours a day pushing himself to his physical and mental limits, he is also a father, husband and Army drill sergeant. For someone who's exercise routine is as thick as the Sunday paper, it turns out his diet is not much different than what I recommend to my clients; in fact, some of his recommendations mirror mine exactly. So here it is from the mouth of an MMA fighter:

O.k., so to give you an idea of what someone like me eats to try to keep a moderately healthy diet, I'll give you a few examples. You might even try these yourself if you're thinking of positively changing the way you eat while still keeping it interesting and tasty.

I have just a few main rules that I feel are essential to any real diet:
1. No fast food! Avoid as long as humanly possible.
2. Avoid salt whenever possible. Replace with other herbs like basil, garlic, pepper, etc.
3. Keep alcohol consumption to a minimum. For me, just a few drinks a month will slow my muscle recovery and impede my endurance, speed, and overall drive.
4. Avoid pork at all costs! Also try to avoid red meats. Eat poultry and fish as much as possible. Poultry is leaner, contains more protein and water, and has less nitrates.

One of the major upsides to the following "recipes" are that they are simple to prepare, thus saving time or energy for someone who is already tired from working out.

For someone like me, who LOVES to eat and is working out regularly, it is important to make sure that I'm taking in proper amounts of protein, carbohydrates (both simple and complex), and getting plenty of natural vitamins from fruit and veggies.

I've found that adding fruits to my diet really makes a difference with my endurance during my workouts.

BREAKFAST: For quick and easy preparation, I have a plastic container already containing a mixture of nuts and raisins or some type of dried fruit, maybe also some kind of seeds.

I don't even like nuts, but when I mix them with other foods, I mostly don't notice them. Anyway, I add about a handful of this mixture to one of the following:

1. Bran flakes cereal (I prefer Honey Bunches of Oats)
- add one whole banana, sliced (for potassium, which is great for your muscles)

2. Oatmeal (instant)

3. Yogurt (Light & Fit)

All three of these are easy fixes, with a huge plus for saving time. I tend to go with the cereal most often, because it combines a greater amount of simple carbohydrates with my complex-carb mixture, which aids in providing quick energy for my first workout of the day. Plus, if I start to get bored with it, I can always change the cereal brand.

4. Another breakfast option includes good ol' fashion eggs and toast. These provide amino acids (for protein) and carbohydrates, respectively, both of which are essential in building new muscle, and it only takes about 5 minutes to make everything. Once in a while, I'll reheat a chicken breast in the pan (leftover from dinner) for added protein and to help fill me up.

Instead of butter, I use Pam Butter Spray when cooking the eggs. Instead of salt, I just use a garlic/pepper blend, and sometimes crushed red pepper.

On the toast, I use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, which has no calories or sodium. I have heard that eggs are high in cholesterol, but the amount of amino acids you get from them is so good for your muscles. Since I don't use butter, I have no guilt over eating eggs and toast twice a week.

Keeping the sodium (salt) in your diet to a minimum is key for good blood pressure, and it helps avoid retaining unneeded water weight. So, cutting out salted butter and salted seasonings really can make a difference.

Thank you for sharing Brandon! You've got some great advice! Be sure to check out Brandon's blog to follow his journey as an MMA fighter!